˗ˏˋ Small City, Big Experiences: My Erasmus Adventure in Aachen ´ˎ˗ 


When I joined the Erasmus program, I never anticipated how profoundly it would reshape my perspective on work, culture, and personal growth. My journey took me to Aachen, Germany, a city rich in history, nestled at the crossroads of Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands. While Aachen itself is a relatively small city, my experiences there were anything but small. 



The Heart of My Erasmus Journey: Working at Metro

One of the highlights of my time in Aachen was working at a Metro AG store, a globally renowned cash-and-carry retailer headquartered in Düsseldorf. This experience offered a first-hand look into the world of logistics and customer service on an international scale. My role involved meticulously checking and managing deliveries, ensuring products reached the shelves seamlessly. As the critical link in the supply chain, I saw how efficient communication between teams played a vital role in maintaining operations.



Source: wikipedia. 



Embracing the German Work Ethic


The German work culture was a revelation. Once a week, my supervisors would personally check in with each employee, asking how we felt—a gesture that was both thoughtful and motivating. The sense of mutual respect and collaboration created a positive environment, quite different from my experiences in Finland, where hierarchies are less pronounced but structured differently.

One of the most striking aspects of German work culture was the seamless communication within the company. Whether it was coordinating with the logistics team or handling customer feedback, everyone contributed to creating a smooth, supportive workflow. It was inspiring to see how much emphasis was placed on teamwork and employee well-being.




Cultural Contrasts: Germany vs. Finland

Having worked in both Germany and Finland, I noticed fascinating differences in work culture and customer behavior. In Germany, there’s a culture of mutual help, even among colleagues. Bosses actively assist their teams—a striking contrast to Finland, where relationships between employees and management tend to be more egalitarian but less hands-on. German customers, on the other hand, are more efficient in their shopping habits compared to the more vocal and leisurely Finnish shoppers.



A Journey Through History and Folklore

Living and working near Aachen, I got to explore its rich history. The Aachen Cathedral, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, was a highlight, but the city’s folklore added an extra layer of intrigue. One local story claimed the city was built by the Devil himself, who, in a twist of events, was outwitted by its clever citizens. A visible "Devil’s mark" on the cathedral’s door serves as a reminder of this tale.

I also ventured into nearby towns like Würselen, a quieter but charming place where I lived. The sense of community there was heartwarming, especially during the festive season. Some of my favorite memories was being invited to share a traditional Christmas meal, a traditional breakfast, and to visit Christmas market with a local family, which gave me a deep sense of connection to German traditions.




The Challenges of Travel

Of course, everything was perfect. Traveling by FlixBus proved to be an endurance test. Packed into a seat for hours, surrounded by fellow passengers, it all was glamorous. These moments became part of the adventure, a story to laugh about later.



Small City, Big Lessons














From navigating the logistics of a global retailer to connecting with the locals in Aachen, every moment of my Erasmus journey was filled with learning and growth. While the city may be small, the experiences I had there were larger than life. Aachen gave me memories, lessons, secrets and friendships that I will carry with me forever.


If you ever have the chance to visit Aachen or participate in Erasmus, I can only encourage you to seize the opportunity. Small cities like Aachen often hold the biggest surprises. 












Comments